Contributed by Anna Filardo, Education Program Manager
SAM: Self-Help for Anxiety Management
- Developed by a team of university-based psychologists, computer scientists and student users.
- Ability to track anxiety and how users are feeling in that moment.
- Allows the user to determine different triggers for anxiety, allowing them to potentially avoid these situations or to be better prepared in the future.
- SAM employs techniques such as breathing exercises, picture reveals, and relaxation.
- Social Cloud is a place where users can communicate with each other. This is a great tool to recognize that anxiety affects many people, and allows users to share messages with others using the app.
- Easy to take on-the-go and alleviate anxiety the moment it hits.
- Provides educational information about anxiety, common anxiety symptoms and triggers.
- The app does not notify users when someone comments on their Social Cloud posts.
- There is not a walk-through for the Muscle Relaxation or Tense-and-Relax Exercise techniques.
- Based on 20 years of brain training and anxiety-reduction research.
- Directions for the game are easy to follow and understand.
- A great app for avoiding and decreasing stress/anxiety.
- Helps the user to focus on the happy face.
- User can set a goal for the amount of the time they participate in the activity each week.
- Easy way to zone out and allow for a mindless moment.
- Since it is an app it is easy to take on-the-go and alleviate anxiety in the moment.
- Does not require users to participate in the activity for a long amount of time (1-2 min/day).
- Background music is calming.
- Activity is repetitive and may get boring.
- Activity is easy.
- May pose issues to those that have been diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or are anxious about being perfect. Since users have to touch every piece of grass in the game, it may cause more issues than it solves.
- Not yet available on Android devices.
- Track feelings and write about what is going on in the moment.
- Create a Hope Board with pictures, goals, inspiration, etc.
- Set small goals. There are some daily goals already outlined within the app that help motivate the user to reach overall goals.
- Tap the goal when completed and record the difficulty of completing it.
- Track and log different anxiety traps and triggers.
- Shows the user their personal connection between emotions, thoughts, and experiences.
- Teaches how to reframe the situation (i.e. What could you have done differently to allow for a better outcome?).
- Tracks sleep and exercise.
- Guides users through various techniques to manage stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Includes verbal instructions for breathing exercises, meditation, and muscle relaxation.
- Community posts allow users to talk to others about shared experiences or hardships.
- Easy to take anywhere and track anxiety/stress in the moment.
- Must pay for some “Thought” tracking techniques.
- Users are able to select different sounds they like and put them together.
- "Melodies" section allows users to submit their favorite sounds.
- Ability to submit a personal sound mix so others can listen.
- Add and delete sounds to allow users to go back to the sounds that work the best.
- Ability to vary the volume of each sound selected.
- Great for traveling, especially when accustomed to white noise (such as a fan on at home).
- Relax Melodies notify users when it is time for bed based on the time set as a target.
- Timer: set the white noise to stop after 30 minutes or play through the night.
- Alarm function can wake users up with white noise.
- Guided meditation helps users clear the mind and fall asleep.
- Easy to take on-the-go.
- Clean platform and easy to navigate.
- Some saved sounds are only available on the paid version.
- The user must upgrade to the Pro/paid version in order to utilize all guided meditations.